Monday, December 10, 2012

Me & Him: Chapter 1

A while ago my aunt suggested I write down my love story.  From day one. EVERYTHING.  So that as Spenser and I grew older and things changed we could go back and read what it was like to be young lovers.  It is something she wishes she would have done, and I immediately took her advice to heart.  So, though not ALL of our story will be made public, I have decided that parts of it will.  Right here.  On my blog.  In little chunks at a time so you can bear to finish reading a post before your eyes roll into the back of your head. I hope you enjoy it.  I hope it sparks every emotion.  Love, fear, sadness, joy, worry, frustration, and so on.  Because that's what we've already endured, and that's what I'll be publishing. 

Our Story.

Ever heard that quote, "All true love stories are great, but ours is my favorite." It's a good one:) And in three months, it will be hanging above my bed, the one I will be sharing with my best friend, Spenser.  I was going to wait and write our story a bit later, you know AFTER the wedding.  But I couldn't.  I was too excited to get it started so I'm posting little by little up until March, our wedding month, when I can offer a grand finale.  No harm done. So before I get into the details here's a quick glimpse at when things took place:

January 2011----ShaNae met Spenser at CHILI'S in Orem.  (according to him we met before that...i don't recollect...)
March 2011----Spent what turned out to be their last day together for the next five months
August 2011----They up and decided to see each other again
September 2011----Had their first REAL kiss
April 24th 2012----Spenser proposes, ShaNae screams YES!:)
May 8th 2012----ShaNae leaves for Africa, Spenser leaves for Texas
June 12th 2012----ShaNae returns from Africa with a head injury...who's Spenser? Wedding is OFF.
August 4th 2012----Things are back to normal between our two lovers but ShaNae leaves again, this time to Minnesota for open heart surgery.
August 15th 2012----ShaNae returns, and she's weird...again.
September 2012----Wedding is OFF...again.
November 2nd 2012----Things have gone back to normal, he asks...again, and she says YES!!!!:)
December 2012---Wedding planning sucks. Can't wait to be married.
March 9th, 2013---Best Day of Our Lives:)


And there you have it.  Our fairy tale outline.  Looks a little sketch right?  Well I’ll take the blame for most of that.  I put Spenser through a lot.  But to my defense none of it was on purpose.  I had amnesia and we both suffered for it.  I just look at this past year and stand in awe at what we have accomplished and SURVIVED as a couple.  How many people get three chances at love?  And it works out every time, reassuring both parties they have made the right choice.  This year has been HARD, and out of control but I can’t help but be grateful.  I often think back to who we were in April, during our first engagement and think, “Wow, what a difference.” We are THAT much more prepared for marriage and all it entails.  You know what they say, Everything Happens for a Reason.  And I know this wasn’t all for not.  I’m just anxious to figure out the WHY?


Anyway, back to the story.  One fantastic day back in oh…February-ish of 2011 a good friend of mine took me out to dinner to celebrate some good news.  Chili’s of course.  Best restaurant ever.  At this point in my life I was an utter man hater.  I could flirt, and sometimes did, but I wasn’t too good at it.  But I didn’t care, because I was really struggling with the birth father of my daughter, Sophie, and couldn’t even bear to get close to a member of the male species.  I was so disgusted with what their ‘kind’ were capable of I planned on staying single for a VERY.LONG.TIME.  Well, on this blissful evening of ours what does my friend do? She invites a man friend to join us. 

Okay. Whatever.  I can deal.  Right? It’s not like I have to talk to him.  Or even see him again for that matter.  Right?

WRONG.

As we were finishing up dinner Spenser walked in.  Sat next to my friend, who he was very close to at the time, so I let them do all the talking while I finished everything on my plate. First thing I noticed? 

WOW. This kid doesn’t talk much.  He seems to be enjoying himself but he’s definitely a man of very few words.  Weird.  I’ve never had a quiet friend before.  No one in my family is quiet.  Maybe I should get out more?  Are most people this quiet?  Whatever.  I hate men.  These chicken fingers taste good…


As conversation slowed and I had completely stuffed myself, my friend decided she best be on her way.  Meaning, she had other men calling for her attention, and knew I would rather go home than endure more social time with people I didn’t care for.  There was just one problem….she drove.  And we were in Orem.  She didn’t want to drive me home to American Fork just to drive all the way back to Provo.  So despite my deepest convictions that THIS WAS NOT HAPPENING, she suggested right in front of him, that Spenser, this man I had JUST barely met!!!! drive me home.  Well I’m not one to deny efficiency and he WAS the only one heading that way, so sure, why not?

Now, anyone who could have witnessed our ride home together would have felt awkward enough to jump out of Spenser’s car onto the freeway.  But to us, it was alright.  Spenser didn’t say more than five words, but I talked the entire way. Heck, I talked his ear off!  Which is so unlike me…but he was easy to read.  Within the amount of time we had back at the restaurant I knew he was completely secure in himself.  He neither required nor easily gave out a lot of attention.  He was okay with just sitting…and listening…and watching.  So, I did the talking.  Carried on a conversation consisting of who knows what.   

But before either of us knew it, we were parked outside my house with time to spare.  He looked at me with a sincere smile and I looked at him to say, “Thanks Spenser.  For the ride home.  I really appreciate it. See you around?” To which he said, “Ya. No problem. See you around.” 

Did I really just say “See you around?” Did that JUST happen? YUP.  ShaNae, it did.  And now you’re walking up the stairs of your house with a smile on your face.   

I wasn’t smiling because I felt sparks between Spenser and I.  I was smiling because I didn’t hate him.  And felt okay with the fact that we would probably, most definitely see each other again.  We had the same friends, his best friend was sorta dating my best friend.  So ya, we’d see each other again.  

And I looked forward to it.

*to be continued*

No comments:

Post a Comment